“Triple three-quarter length portrait of the three Waldegrave sisters, seated beside one another at a small work-table; Lady Anna Horatia at right embroidering, with Lady Charlotte Maria at left, her head turned towards front, winding silk from skein which Lady Elizabeth Laura, centre, is holding; a curtain, pillars and trees behind them; after Reynolds (Mannings 1810); proof before letters, but with scratched production and publication detail.”–British Museum online catalogue.
- Printmaker: Green, Valentine, 1739-1813, printmaker, publisher.
- Title: [Lady Elizabeth Laura, Lady Charlotte Maria & Lady Anne Horatia, daughters to James late Earl of Waldegrave Knight of the Garter] [graphic] / painted by Sir Joshua Reynolds ; engraved by V. Green, mezzotinto engraver to His Majesty, and to the Elector Palatine.
- Edition: [State 1].
- Publication: [London] : Published Decr. 1st, 1781, by V. Green, No. 29, Newman Street, Oxford Street, London, [1 December 1781]
Folio 49 3636 no. 8++ (Oversize)
Acquired November 2017
Collection of proofs for fourteen illustrations for William Harrison Ainsworth’s novel Windsor Castle, all but the first trimmed and laid into larger sheets; all are double-ruled in blue and red ink. The first plate “Plan of Windsor Castle 1843” has been mounted on the sheet and ruled in red and blue ink and serves as a title page: “Windsor Castle. A Historical Romance by William Harrison Ainsworth.”. The leaves are numbered in blue ink beginning with 56 and ending with 69. Each leave is titled at the head “Windsor Castle” and eleven of the prints are captioned below. One caption has been erased, and the other two are blank.
- Author: Cruikshank, George, 1792-1878, printmaker.
- Title: [A collection of proofs for William Harrison Ainsworth’s novel Windsor Castle], [ca. 1843].
- Published: [England, 1843]
View Catalog Record
Acquired July, 2011 by the Lewis Walpole Library.