office hours: M, 9-10; W, 1-2; 107 CT Hall
Lecture: M, W 10:30-11:20; LC 101
- Revised syllabus — books, schedule, reading assignments, grading policies, due dates, etc.; revised 9/15
- Original syllabus — shows the order the topics would have been covered had it not been for our textbook snafu, and the order in which they will be covered if I teach this course again
- A True/False “Quiz” — try your hand at these
- My quiz answers. Are they the right answers? Well, I think so.
- Section times/rooms. 114 Sections:
Mondays, 3:30 (GG): LC 208
Mondays, 4:30 (GG): LC 208
Tuesdays, 3:30 (AD): LC 318
Tuesdays, 4:30 (AD): LC 318
Fridays, 10:30 (SR): 305 Connecticut Hall
Fridays, 11:30 (SR): 305 Connecticut Hall
Fridays, 10:30 (MH): ES 2975
- Topics for First Paper.
- Links to books: As of 11:00 PM, 10/11/2000, Amazon seems to have run out of Metaphysics books, and are saying it will take them 3-5 weeks to send them out, but Barnes & Noble and Borders both have them in stock and are sending them out within 24 hours. But that changes rapidly. (Amazon had them in stock just earlier today.) Check the shipping time at the links below before ordering.
- Link to Greene’s The Elegant Universe: Barnes & Noble.com Amazon.com
- Links to Drake Equation, SETI info. (Relevant to van Inwagen’s discussion of whether we’re the only rational beings, but mostly here for the Tarter quotation about the Drake equation that I think applies wonderfully to Bayes’ Theorem, at least in most of its philosophical applications: It’s “a wonderful way to organize our ignorance.”)
- Topics for Second Papers.
- Final Exam questions, plus times, places, info.