Who should do the placement test:
- The Placement test (See below) is required ONLY for students who either are from a Chinese heritage family OR/AND who have taken some Chinese language course in the past (such as at high schools). Students who took the AP Chinese test still need to take the test, no matter what your score is.
- Students who just returned from a Light Program in China DO NOT need to take the test, but to take a course by skipping one level above what you have finished last spring. (Example: you finished Chns120 last spring, after your summer Light program, you take Chinese 150, skipping Chinese 130 at Yale)
- Students with zero knowledge of Chinese DO NOT do anything here, but to shop a Chinese 110 section (L1 course) when semester starts.
- This test is for placement purpose only.
- Results will NOT be applied to students’ grade or credit record
- Students should finish the test independently without using any tools (dictionaries, etc.) and without help from another person (friend, etc.).
- Any breach of this honor code may result in inaccurate placement and may cause a delayed placement.
The Chinese placement test is fully online. It includes five parts:
- Writing: Short Essay and Handwriting Characters
- Grammar and Reading
- Oral Response
- Placement results are uploaded to Canvas prior to the start of the semester.
- Placement exam results will remain valid for ONE year.
Accessing the Placement Test:
Should you have any questions, please email to Chinese Program Coordinator: Rongzhen Li.