Class 2 Discussion

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Dana Asby
    Keymaster

Here is a new forum to discuss the readings or session from Class 2!

robgoulden
    Participant

Thanks for another great session, the gardener video was something i hadnt seen before and was quite powerful with its message.

emmaoloughlin
    Participant

I found this weeks reading and class very valuable because a lot of the ‘alternatives’ to white supremacist culture can also be applied to challenge ableist and heteronormative organisations and workplaces.
    The part that really resonated with me was when it talked about not just having a tokenistic ‘diverse’ person in leadership, but that because we are all raised with the white supremacist mindset, we actually need a ‘critical mass’ of diversity to counteract the way the norms of the white middle class permeate each of us.
    I also highlighted the “Transformational Relationships” part about taking time to see, greet and acknowledge each other – especially when there’s no time to do so.
    I had never heard the term “equity washing” before, and it really hit home, again from a disability and LGBTIQA+ perspective.
    I’ll finish my points about the reading with this note “Craete an environment that celebrates the courage to explore racial bias in all it’s forms…. acknowledge that we all carry unconscious bias and we each have a role in addressing it”.
    I also wanted to note how much I appreciated the gardener video – the part where the pink flowers didn’t want the bees to pollenate because they thought there was something inherently wrong with them and believed the bees should pollenate the red flowers only really hit my mentally ill, disabled, LGBTIQA+ self hard. So many disabled folk are discouraged from having children from fear they’ll pass on their disability, and I know my own mental illness played a really big role in why I chose not to have children.
    I know this week was about race, but it really impacted my intersections too, so I hope what I’ve said isn’t seen as disrespectful or dismissive.

brookestarr
    Participant

I really enjoyed the class and all of the offerings and discussion. Hearing from both speakers. I enjoyed the connections with others in the break out rooms and the sharing and learning that happened there.

In terms of the readings I particularly enjoyed the reading – Continuum on Becoming an AntiRacist, Multicultural Institution. This one went deep for me, in regards to how Institutions often appear to be ‘doing’ something that breaks down discrimination and oppression and really are doing none of it or only part of it. I really considered how this influences the perceptions and behaviours of others in terms of breeding tokenistic environments and covert discrimination.I absolutely loved this model for it’s clear and concise descriptions and definitions of what is required to transition from racist to truly antiracist organisation/institutions. I felt the information was truly transferrable and could be applied to so many different settings where and useful it clarification when advocating for change or more investment from organisations.

I really appreciate your comments Emma and the fact that you are discussing ablelism. It is such an important discussion because it really makes me curious about ablelism in terms of racism and being a white woman who can identify with forms of oppression and discrimination due to my own experiences in response to the world/life and even upbringing and yet how I can never truly know what it is to experience this from the point of view of others who have different experiences due to skin colour or other differneces. It really brought up lots of feelings for me about my own privledge even though I am a person who really works hard at appreciating all humans for simply being human.

I also loved the gardener video. It spoke to me about human potential and how environment, nourishment etc have a massive impact on how people bloom – such a massive systemic rabbit hole of a conversation in regards to the wider implications on cultures and societies.

jessicabyrne
    Participant

Hi, everyone, again. Thank you for your interesting forum posts 😊.
    Yes, I agree Emma, there are a lot of overlaps regarding pressures people in various oppressed groups have faced. I also think that it is very wise to acknowledge unintentional hurt that any discussions highlighting similarities between different groups with a history of oppression may inadvertently cause, as they may be perceived as disrespectful or dismissive, if some sensitivities are overlooked. This is something I also grapple with: how to approach similarities of different groups without inadvertently disregarding an aspect of difference. For example, I would love an acknowledgement at the start of meetings of the contribution of people with Lived Experience and also the hurt caused by the health systems to people who have used the services. However, this of course could detract from the significance of Welcome to Country, which is not what anyone would want. So maybe a Lived Experience acknowledgement could be done in a different way or time. It is very important that everyone is consulted and feels happy with any significant decisions like that. A valuable point that was made after the breakout rooms in the group discussion is it necessary to know who our allies are and to align together. The groups with a shared history of oppression are our allies. If we are mindful to show respect and autonomy of differences and have clear collective goals to progress rather than competing for resources, then it is more likely can move ahead and achieve them.
    The Black Dog Institute resources were very useful for me. I was excited to see the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander report ‘We are not the problem, we are part of the solution: Indigenous Lived Experience Project Report’. I think this report will be very useful to guide my project in relation to references process, and themes, despite focused on a different Lived Experience. All of the other readings were also very interesting. There is a lot to reflect on in them. I will be thinking about them for some time, especially the Continuum on Becoming an Antiracist, Multicultural Institution, which was a useful guide.
    As with Brooke, I enjoyed the breakout rooms and getting to know a bit about the other fellows. I too appreciated the gardener video. Simplicity is the most effective way to make a point but can be the most difficult thing to achieve.
    The Embrace Framework for Multicultural Health in Australia had some very useful resources to help support people in distress which included translation in many languages. I am looking forward to the next forum 😊. See you there everyone!

natashamalmstrom
    Participant

this is a test

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.