Notebook of the rabbinic emissary, Joseph Horwitz, who is being sent by the Jerusalem benevolent association, Bread for the Hungry and Lodging for the Poor, to collect donations abroad. He is being sent to Australia, New Zealand and India. It contains letters of recommendation, some in English, and also one written by the women’s arm of the association. A letter by the British Consul in Jerusalem is also included. The bylaws of the organization are also listed in Hebrew and in English.
Bound manuscript containing various documents relating to the work of a rabbinic emissary who was sent from Jerusalem in 1878 to collect funds for the charitable organization “Bread for the Hungry and Lodging for the Poor”. He was sent to Australia and India and thus letters of introduction are in English (including that of the British Consul in Jerusalem). The document also includes the signatures of many women who add their support to request for contributions so that the poor of Jerusalem can be fed and housed. In original binding.
Manuscript on paper. 10 leaves, written in a an Ashkenazic cursive, in Yiddish and Hebrew by the scribe Shlomo Zalman Spitz who heard the story and felt the need to transcribe it for future generations. It contains historical details relating to plight of the Jews of Prague who were expelled from the city in 1745 by the empress Marian Theresa. Included are graphic details of the plundering, jailings and killings that took place. The document contains names of community leaders and of the important individuals of the period. To our best knowledge, it has not been published.
This is the first issue of the journal after World War II. The sub-title under the image says: for the honor of the Jewish people.
Title page, Pinkas Kehillah (community Register) Oldenzaal, Netherlands, 1899-1941. In Hebrew and Yiddish
Manuscript register book from the Jewish community of Oldenzaal, the Netherlands. Ink on paper, with original vellum binding. The title page is decorated with drawings of two cherubs standing atop columns supporting the word “Pinkas” [register book], with a crown on the top. The book, dated 561 [1800 or 1801], was made to raise funds to build a synagogue. According to the Jewish Historical Museum in Amsterdam, “a division in the community [of Oldenzaal] in 1800 led to a decision to found a second synagogue. The new house of worship was consecrated in 1802.” The first section of the book contains pages with members’ names at the top and foldable cut-out tabs to record their pledges on the Sabbath or holidays without writing. Another section of the book records well over a century–from the beginning of the nineteenth century until autumn 1941–of the members of the community selected to receive honors on holidays.
for further info: http://www.jhm.nl/culture-and-history/the-netherlands/overijssel/oldenzaal
A tabbed page with name of donor on top.The tab is folded over to note amount of donation so as not to write on the Sabbath.
Entries by year of honors given to congregation members
List of members and their donation to the synagogue
“Marriage Contract. Uniting Reuven ben Moshe with Serach, daughter of Yechezkel. Manuscript in Hebrew, composed in Persian Hebrew square and cursive script on paper. Text within colorful triangular panels surrounded by rectangular blocs, red, orange, yellow and green predominating in floral motifs, with sidebar illuminated with geometrical motif. Folds with a few slight tears. 17 x 13.5 inches. Framed in glass 23 x 27 inches. Kashan (Persia), 17th Cheshvan, 1890.
Kashan is an ancient city located in the the province of Isfahan, Iran. Although reputed for its Jewish poets, at the close of the 19th-century there lived in Kashan no more than some 150 Jewish families in the midst of 30,000 Muslim inhabitants.” (Fine Judaica, Kestenbaum & Company, 2015)
“One of 100 Numbered Copies specially bound. Portfolio of 26 plates by Gottlieb in color and black-and-white. German introduction by Moriz Scheyer. Calf-backed portfolio-case, upper cover with vignette portrait of the artist. 12 x 17 inches. Viena, Christoph Reisser, 1923.” (Fine Judaica, Kestenbaum & Company, 2015)