- Review by Robert I. Rotberg for Choice Reviews
- Review by Nicolas van de Walle for Foreign Affairs
- Review [gated] by Michael Schatzberg for Political Science Quarterly
- Review [gated] by Sarah Lockwood for Political Studies Review
- Review [gated] by Dominika Koter for Journal of Modern African Studies
- Review [gated] by Jeremy Speight for African Studies Review
- Review by Petr Skalnik for Modern Africa
- Critical Dialogue [gated] with Philip Roessler for Perspectives on Politics
Traditional Leaders and Democracy
Ethnic Politics and Political Development
Book Chapters and Other Writing
2019. Traditional Leaders, Service Delivery and Electoral Accountability (with Pia Raffler), Decentralized Governance and Accountability: Academic Research and the Future of Donor Programming, Cambridge University Press.
2018. Critical Dialogue: Ethnic Politics and State Power in Africa: The Logic of the Coup-Civil War Trap & The Paradox of Traditional Chiefs in Democratic Africa. Perspectives on Politics 16, 1. <Gated Copy>
2016. Hereditary Rule in Democratic Africa: Reconciling Citizens and Chiefs, Growing Democracy in Africa: Elections, Accountable Governance and Political Economy, Cambridge Scholars Publishing.
2011. Secondary Analyses of Experiments: Opportunities and Challenges (with Rikhil Bhavnani), APSA-CD: The Newsletter of the Comparative Democratization Section of the American Political Science Association, October.
2010. African Political Economy, Encyclopedia of Political Science, CQ Press.
2010. Zambia: One Party in Perpetuity? Democratization in Africa: Progress and Retreat, John Hopkins University Press.