- Measuring Human Capital Using Global Learning Data, with Noam Angrist, Simeon Djankov and Harry A. Patrinos, Nature, March 10, 2021.
- Supplement with additional details
- Non-technical Summary in VoxEU
- For longer version, see Policy Research Working Paper Series 8742, The World Bank, 2020.
- Why is Growth in Developing Countries so Hard to Measure?, with Noam Angrist and Dean Jolliffe, Journal of Economic Perspectives, Vol. 35, No. 3, Summer 2021, pp. 215-42.
- Gendered Laws and Women in the Workforce, with Marie Hyland and Simeon Djankov, American Economic Review: Insights, Vol. 2, No. 4, Dec. 2020, pp. 475-90.
- The Effects of the Coronavirus Pandemic in Emerging Market and Developing Economies: An Optimistic Preliminary Account, with Tristan Reed, Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, June 25, 2020.
- The Return to Protectionism, with Pablo Fajgelbaum, Amit Khandelwal, and Patrick Kennedy. First draft: Sept. 2018. Current draft: Oct. 2019, The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Feb. 2020, Lead Article and Editor’s Choice
- The Effects of Trade Policy, with Nina Pavcnik, prepared for the Handbook of Commercial Policy, edited by K. Bagwell and R. Staiger, 1st Edition, Vol. 1A, Chapter 3, 2016.
- Prices, Markups and Trade Reform, with Jan De Loecker, Amit Khandelwal and Nina Pavcnik, Econometrica, Vol.84, 2, March 2016, pp. 445-510.
- Non-technical summary in Microeconomic Insights February 1, 2016: http://microeconomicinsights.org/prices-markups-and-trade-reform/
- Introduction to book on “Trade and Inequality”, edited by P. K. Goldberg, Edward Elgar Research Collections, May 2015.
- Firm Performance in a Global Market, with Jan De Loecker, The Annual Review of Economics, Vol. 6, Aug. 2014, pp. 201-227.
- A Structural Approach to Identifying the Sources of Local-Currency Price Stability, with Rebecca Hellerstein, Review of Economic Studies, Jan. 2013, 80(1), pp. 175-210.
- Imported Intermediate Inputs and Domestic Product Growth: Evidence from India, with A. Khandelwal, N. Pavcnik and P. Topalova, Quarterly Journal of Economics, 125(4), 2010, pp. 1727-67.
- Intellectual Property Rights Protection in Developing Countries: The Case of Pharmaceuticals, Journal of the European Economic Association, Volume 8, April-May 2010, pp. 326-53.
- This is the published version of my Alfred Marshall Lecture delivered at the European Congress in Barcelona, August 2009.
- Multi-product Firms and Product Turnover in the Developing World: Evidence from India, with A. Khandelwal, N. Pavcnik and P. Topalova, Review of Economics and Statistics, 92(4), 2010, pp. 1042‐1049.
- This paper is a shorter version of a paper that was circulated earlier and is now available as NBER Working Paper No. 14127. For more details on the data and estimation, you can also read the Web Appendix to this paper: Web Appendix
- Trade Liberalization and New Imported Inputs, with A. Khandelwal, N. Pavcnik and P. Topalova, American Economic Review, May 2009, pp. 494-50.
- A Structural Approach to Explaining Incomplete Exchange Rate Pass-through and Pricing-To-Market, with R. Hellerstein, American Economic Review, May 2008, pp. 423-29. Pre-publication version can be read here: Passthrough_Short
- Distributional Effects of Globalization in Developing Countries, with N. Pavcnik, Journal of Economic Literature, March 2007, 45(1), pp. 39-82.
- Estimating the Effects of Global Patent Protection in Pharmaceuticals: A Case Study of Quinolones in India, with S. Chaudhuri and P. Jia, American Economic Review, Dec. 2006.
- For the data and code used in this paper click here
Department of Economics
37 Hillhouse Ave.
P.O. Box 208264
New Haven, CT 06520-8264
Telephone: (203) 432-3547
Administrative Assistant: Anne Yurish
Telephone: (203) 432-3560