Hot off The Lancet Neurology press! Brought to you by PGY4 Lindsay McAlpine, recent grad and current neuromuscular fellow Adeel Zubair, program director Dr. Jeremy Moeller, department vice chair Dr. Joachim Baehring, and Neuro Infectious Disease extraordinaire Dr. Serena Spudich. Link to the article below.
Congrats to PGY3s Shobhit Singla and Gabriella García on the publication of their review article “Detecting seizures and epileptiform abnormalities in acute brain injury.” Click the link below to check it out!
Hosted by PGY3s Safa Abdelhakim and Kevin Wilson, the Neurology Exam Prep Podcast is an excellent and high-yield addition to any budding neurologist’s playlist. 10,000+ downloads and climbing. Strong work, you two!
Congrats to PGY4 Anna DeForest, MD, MFA, on the publication of her powerful and thought-provoking piece in the NEJM. Her words speak for themselves:
In the absence of our usual graduation event, the 2020 awards were presented over Zoom during the Department of Neurology town hall meeting last week. Congratulations to the winners, and to everyone for all their hard work this year!
- Lewis Levy Award for PGY2 residents who prepared the best case presentations, selected by a panel of faculty judges: Dr. Gabriella García and Dr. Rita Okumu
- Gilbert Glaser Award for the PGY3 resident who made exceptional contributions to the resident team, voted for by their co-residents: Dr. Mary Barden
- Resident Teacher of the Year Award for a PGY4 resident, voted for by medical students: Dr. Christopher Traner
- Roger Bannister Award for the fastest tPA administration time:
- First place: Dr. Lindsay McAlpine
- Second place: Dr. Colin Klenk
- Third place: Dr. Amy Yu
- Attending of the Year Award for the faculty member who has contributed significantly to resident learning, voted for by residents: Dr. Reshma Narula
Congratulations to our PGY-4 colleagues who graduated residency this week. Thank you for your support and senior wisdom, as well as for all the laughs and good times. We are lucky that 9 out of the 11 graduates will be staying here at Yale, so fortunately we won’t have to miss you too much!
In lieu of our traditional graduation ceremony at Amarante’s Sea Cliff, Dr. Moeller and the outgoing PGY-4 class enjoyed a small, socially-distanced celebration. We still hope to have our formal ceremony this fall though, so stay tuned! In the meantime, keep doing great things.
- Dr. Christian Amlang, Neurohospitalist, Yale New Haven Hospital
- Dr. Priyanka Chilakamarri, Sleep Medicine Fellowship, University of Pennsylvania
- Dr. Vanessa Cooper, Headache Fellowship, Yale University
- Dr. Amanda Hernandez, Neuromuscular Fellowship, Yale University
- Dr. Colin Klenk, Vascular Neurology Fellowship, Yale University
- Dr. John Picard, Neurocritical Care Fellowship, Yale University
- Dr. Chindhuri Selvadurai, Movement Disorders Fellowship, Yale University
- Dr. Christopher Traner, Epilepsy Fellowship, Yale University
- Dr. Jens Witsch, Vascular Neurology Fellowship, Weill Cornell
- Dr. Adeel Zubair, Neuromuscular Fellowship, Yale University
- Dr. Mustafa Zahmak, Neuro Oncology Fellowship, Yale University
Congratulations to outgoing PGY-4 Christopher Traner for being elected to serve on the National Resident Matching Program (NRMP) Board of Directors! There are only a few resident physicians from across the country who serve on this board, so we are especially proud. His term of service (in addition to his Epilepsy fellowship training) begins on July 1, 2020. Keep doing great things, Chris!
Congratulations to Rita Okumu and Gabriella García, our 2020 Lewis Levy Award recipients! The Lewis Levy Award was established in 2003 to support the education and training of neurology residents in their first year (PGY-2) of training. Each member of the PGY-2 class submits a case report, which is then judged anonymously by a panel of 5 faculty members. All submissions are of the highest quality, but this year it was the work of Rita and Gabriella that stood out among the rest. Their excellent cases were presented at a special (Zoom) Clinical Grand Rounds on June 5th.
Keep up the great work, Rita and Gabriella!