The Yale Library has a university-wide subscription to The Chronicle of Higher Education that anyone in the Yale community can access. Furthermore, iPad users can view the periodical on their devices by downloading the free Chronicle app from the iTunes Store. The advantage of the iPad app is not only the reader-friendly format, but the ability to download issues locally to the iPad that can be viewed offline without an internet connection.
In order to view the journal with the app, users will first need to create an account on the Chronicle.com web page (this can be done from an iPad browser, e.g., Safari or Chrome). Account creation is simply done by clicking the Log In link in the upper right-hand corner and then the Create a Free Account button on the next page. Users will be prompted to enter and confirm their Yale e-mail address, and additional profile information on the subsequent account setup pages. A confirmation email will be sent upon completion.
USING THE CHRONICLE iPAD APP
- Download The Chronicle app from the Apple iTunes Store using your iTunes/Apple ID.
- Once installed, tap The Chronicle app found in the Newsstand.
- When the app opens up, tap “Sign In” found in the upper left-hand corner.
- Enter your Chronicle username or Yale email address and password when prompted.
- Download issues by tapping the thumbnail cover in the library.
- Once downloaded, navigation tools can be seen by tapping the top or bottom of the screen.
Note: Downloaded issues can be removed from your Chronicle library to preserve space by tapping the blue settings icon in the upper right-hand corner of your library and selecting “Remove Issues from iPad.” On the next screen tap the issues to be removed (indicated by a red check mark) and tap the red Remove button in the upper right-hand corner.
Chronicle iPad Page: http://chronicle.com/ipad
Chronicle iPad Support Page: http://chronicle.com/ipad/support
Chronicle iPad App: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/chronicle-higher-education/id414901678?mt=8