2023 MECHA DE YALE SUEÑOS SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION
THIS $1500 SCHOLARSHIP AWARD IS INTENDED FOR UNDOCUMENTED STUDENTS WITH OR WITHOUT DACA.
- High school senior attending college in the fall or community college student who is in the process of transferring to a four-year institution.
- A cumulative GPA of at least 3.0
- Currently attends a public high school or community college in Hamden, West Haven, East Haven, New Haven, or North Haven
- Proof of acceptance to an accredited college or university or list of the colleges/universities you have applied to and are considering attending.
In order for your application to be considered, you must submit a document with your answers to the application questions along with the required supplemental documents to email@example.com by 11:59 PM on May 1st, 2023. Please upload your responses to the following google forms. Essay questions may be answered in English, Spanish, or Portuguese.
English Application: https://tinyurl.com/suenosenglish
Spanish Application: https://tinyurl.com/suenosspanish
Portuguese Application: https://tinyurl.com/suenos23port
Your application should include one short essay response (250 words) AND the long essay response (500-750) words.
SHORT ESSAY QUESTIONS (250 words or less):
Please pick one of following prompts.
Option A) What are your educational and professional goals? What people or things inspire you to succeed in these goals?
Option B) We at MEChA de Yale value the importance of giving back to our surrounding communities in order to strive together. Please describe your engagement in your community (volunteer or paid) and what perspectives you have gained and lessons you have learned from your experiences.
*Given that the pandemic has made community engagement more difficult, you can alternatively choose to focus on the importance of community through this prompt:
Everyone belongs to many different communities and/or groups founded on several things such as geography, religion, ethnicity, race, income, ideology, etc. Choose one of the communities to which you belong and describe that community, your place in it, and what impact being a member of that community has had on you.
Option C) What does Latinidad mean to you? How has it shaped your identity and your values?
LONG ESSAY QUESTION (500-700 words or less):
Please answer the following prompt in 500 to 700 words:
How has your status as an undocumented student affected the way you see yourself, your family, or your community? (There is no need to answer all three questions, just focus on the aspects most meaningful to you).
REQUIRED SUPPLEMENTAL DOCUMENTS:
- Copy of your official transcript that includes your full name, high school information, and cumulative GPA.
- Copy of the letter of acceptance to the accredited college/university that you plan to attend.
- One letter of recommendation or contact information for a professional reference (a teacher, counselor, or supervisor who can speak to your work ethic). This should include the reference’s name, relationship to you, email, and phone number. If you are not providing a letter, please let your reference know that we will be contacting them regarding your application.
Completed applications are due to the google forms by 11:59 PM on May 1st, 2023. If you have any questions regarding the application or eligibility requirements, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
For instructors and school administrators who would like to know more about the scholarship or help connect us with potential applicants, please email email@example.com.
Best of luck to all of our applicants, we look forward to reading your applications. ¡Échenle ganas!