Week 59: Daejeon Mustard

Hope you enjoyed the word play.

Jeremy signed us for a little frisbee gathering (aka a Hat Tournament for the more frisbee-literate) out in 대전 (Daejeon), which is a super beautiful city with wide blue skies and mountains enclosing it. Just look at the scene from the river we played next to!

Oh my lord!

We were pretty happy campers despite the sun that wanted to burn us alive. I survived with only minor burns to the neck. RIP skin cells.

Jeremy has been keeping up with ultimate skills by taking part in different frisbee games and ultimate events around Seoul and a few other Korean locales. I was just brought along to this one because a buddy makes traveling a bit better. I am pretty glad that I was allowed to come along so I can fix up some of those flicks and throws Jeremy taught me way back in freshman year. What was astonishing was the fact that my flick (underhand) was actually much better than my overhand. In a little time, both came back to modestly average levels, which is enough for me to have fun. However, most of the folks playing were regular amateurs so I had to actually had to learn the game during the weekend.

In a strange turn of events, both teams that Jeremy and I played for won. Jeremy’s team, which was actually captained by the organizer, won the hat tournament, while mine won the Olympics with our various frisbee talents. Although my team only won a few games, nearly every game we played was decided by a point or two. The one game I did not play ended being a game of reckoning for them. Now, I know that it would be statistically unsound to say just by that one sample I was an impactful factor for my team… but I was an impactful factor for my team.

We did not really get to explore the food in 대전 but we did get to share a few beers with the frisbee folk, which was fun. We also got to check out KAIST (think South Korea’s MIT) and 대전액스포과학공원 (Daejeon Expo Science Park), both of which were very spacious and beautiful just like the city’s skyline!

KAIST

Expo Science Park

Skyline by Expo Science Park

As you can seen by the above photo, a storm reeled in as we were heading out, maybe requesting us not to go. In any case, 대전 was definitely a beautiful city worth visiting!

0 comments