- University of California, Santa Barbara, Assistant Professor, Department of Political Science, 2020–present
- Stanford University, Postdoctoral Fellow, Immigration Policy Lab, 2018–2020
- Yale University, Ph.D. with distinction, Political Science, 2018
- Harvard University, M.P.P. Public Policy, 2011
- Bates College, B.A. Political Science, 2006
Writing and Research
Articles in Peer-Reviewed Journals
- “Does Aid Reduce Anti-Refugee Violence? Evidence from Syrian Refugees in Lebanon.” With Christian Lehmann. American Political Science Review. 2020.
- “Refugees, Mobilization, and Humanitarian Aid: Evidence from the Syrian Refugee Crisis in Lebanon.” With Christian Lehmann. Journal of Conflict Resolution. 2019.
- “Does Halting Refugee Resettlement Reduce Crime? Evidence From a Natural Experiment.” With Vasil Yasenov. Revision requested, American Political Science Review.
- “Refugee Networks, Cooperation, and Resource Access: Evidence From a Network Experiment with Syrian Refugees in Lebanon and Jordan.”
“Are Cash Transfers Effective Humanitarian Aid in Refugee Crises?” With M. Christian Lehmann.
- “The Dynamics of Refugee Return: Syrian Refugees and Their Migration Intentions.” With Ala’ Alrababa’h, Marine Casalis, Dominik Hangartner, and Jeremy Weinstein.
- “Mobile Phone-based Panel Surveys for Mobile Populations.” With Ala’ Alrababa’h, Marine Casalis, Dominik Hangartner, Stefan Wehrli, and Jeremy Weinstein.
Book Chapters, Non-Refereed Articles, Reviews, and Comments
- “Before the Field.” Safer Field Research in the Social Sciences: A Guide to Human and Digital Security in Hostile Environments. Jannis Grimm, Kevin Koehler, Ellen Lust, Ilyas Saliba, and Isabell Schierenbeck eds. With Sylvain Lefebvre and Francesco Strazzari. SAGE Publications. 2020.
- “The Ethical Challenges of Field Research in the Syrian Refugee Crisis.” APSA MENA Politics, Newsletter of the MENA Politics Section of APSA, Volume 2, Issue 1. With Lama Mourad. 2019.
- Book review of Noel Brehony’s Yemen Divided and Christopher Boucek and Marina Ottaway’s Yemen on the Brink. International Affairs. May 2012.
- “Returning Home? Conditions in Syria, Not Lebanon, Drive the Return Intentions of Syrian Refugees.” IPA–IPL Policy brief. With Ala’ Alrababa‘h, Marine Casalis, Dominik Hangartner, Jeremy Weinstein, and Nasser Yassin. September 2020.
- Syrians in the Middle East: The Lives and Livelihoods of Refugees and Their Hosts. The World Bank. With Nandini Krishnan, Tara Vishwanath, Monica Biradavolu, Kevin Carey, Matthew Groh, Meghan Lucas, Nethra Palaniswamy, Flavio Russo Riva, Dhiraj Sharma, Thomas Ginn and Jacob Goldston. Internal World Bank Report.
- “‘Giving More’ Through Direct Cash Aid.” Refugees Deeply. 2016.
- “Giving Better: Lessons from Cash Grants for Syrian Refugees in Lebanon.” AUB IFI Policy Brief. Also published in Arabic. 2015.
- “Impact Evaluation of the 2014-15 Winter Cash Assistance Programme for Syrian Refugees in Lebanon.” UNHCR. With Khalil El Asmar. 2015.
- “Impact Evaluation of a Cash-Transfer Programme for Syrian Refugees in Lebanon.” Field Exchange. With Christian Lehmann. 2014.
- “Emergency Economies: The Impact of Cash Assistance in Lebanon.” International Rescue Committee report. With Christian Lehmann. 2014.
- “An American Dream: The Broken Iraqi Refugee Resettlement Program and How to Fix It.” Harvard Kennedy School Review. Spring 2010.
Ongoing Field Projects
- “Understanding the Dynamics of Refugee Return.” With Ala’ Alrababa‘h, Marine Casalis, Dominik Hangartner, and Jeremy Weinstein.
- “How Can Humanitarian Actors Effectively Spread Information During a Crisis? A Field Experiment in Leveraging Networks to Increase Positive Spillovers.” With Maria Micaela Sviatschi.
Fluent Levantine Arabic, advanced Modern Standard Arabic