The Wages of Destruction. The Making and Breaking of the Nazi Economy. UK edition Penguin Allen Lane (2006) 800 pages.
Reviewed amongst others in Times, Sunday Times, Financial Times, Sunday Telegraph, Guardian, Literary Review, Spectator, Book of the Week The Week, Bloomberg.com, BBC History Magazine, History Today, Frankfurter Allgemeine, Sueddeutsche, die Zeit, TAZ, Berliner Zeitung, Weltwoche, Economist book of the year list, Perlentaucher non-fiction list
Translated into German, Bulgarian, Italian, Portuguese and French
- “No Room for Miracles. Reassessing industrial production in Nazi Germany,
1939-1945” Geschichte und Gesellschaft 31 (2005), 439-464
- ‘The Nazi Economy’ in The Short Oxford History of Germany: The Third Reich
J. Caplan ed. (Oxford, 2008).
- ‘The Rosetta Stone of German Industry: The Reich’s Census of Industrial
Production 1936’, C. Buchheim ed., German Industry in the Nazi
Period (Stuttgart, 2008)
The Aly Debate
- ‘Economics, Ideology and Cohesion in the Third Reich: A critique of Goetz Aly’s Hitlers Volksstaat’, Dapim. Studies on the Shoah 20 (2006), 217-232. (In Hebrew). For a link to the article online click here.
- G. Aly and S. Friedlaender for the Sunday Telegraph 2006/7
- Review of Goetz Aly Hitlers Volksstaat TAZ 12 March 2005 and reply to Aly TAZ 16 March 2005 and Die Zeit 15/2005
Invited Commission Member, History of the Reichsministerium der Finanzen in the Third Reich, 2009-
“Mobilizing public credit in the Third Reich” article in development
Economic Ministry in Interwar Germany
For more information on this area of my work, please see The Making of Modern Economic Knowledge, Statistics and the German State 1900-1945
Bibliography for Wages of Destruction
The bibliography for Wages of Destruction can be found here.