In feedback provided to Library IT, many staff have shown an interest in learning more about using SQL and SharePoint. Library IT is listening, so we wanted to share with you the topics and courses available at Lynda.com.
Lynda.com is an online subscription library that teaches the latest software tools and skills through high-quality instructional videos taught by recognized industry experts. The full range of content is available to all Yale University staff.
To access Lynda.com, visit yale.edu/lynda, and log in using your NetId and password. The beauty of Lynda.com is it is available to you anytime, anywhere. The courses range in level from beginner to advanced instruction. Instructors provide exercise materials — so you are not only listening and watching, but also participating in the lessons.
When you search for specific topics at Lynda.com, such as “SQL,” you will get a wide variety of courses specific to that search, “SQL”. In Figure 1, you will see that you can filter the search results based on your level of experience, allowing you to go at your own pace or delve deeper into a topic. Another option available is to see if the topic you are interested in is part of a Learning Path.
Lynda.com has developed “Learning Paths” for users who would like to learn about a topic in a structured and comprehensive manner. A Learning Path it is a set of sequential courses complete with quizzes and practice sessions for students to build their knowledge of a chosen topic. You can learn about a new topic or brush up on one you know as a refresh. Learning Paths cover a wide variety of topics.
After students complete a “Learning Path,” they can share the certificate of completion they receive on their LinkedIn account. You can complete the individual courses at your own pace, and fit it into your schedule based on when you have time available. If you are taking it as a refresher, you can also skip ahead to focus on material of most interest to you.
Just a few courses that might be of interest:
- Learning SQL. A beginners course.
- SQL Tips Tricks and Techniques. An intermediate course, teaching you the top 12 must-have SQL techniques for data science.
- SQL: Data Reporting and Analysis. An intermediate course that teaches you how to get the data you want by writing a bit of SQL code. You will be able to pull data out of the database and manipulate it to create reports.
- Advanced SQL for Data Scientists. Advanced course, requires prior knowledge of SQL. This course is designed to help you learn how to perform common data science tasks, including finding, exploration, and extraction within relational databases.
- SharePoint for Project Management. Learn how to use the built-in features in SharePoint to manage projects.
- SharePoint Tips Weekly. This weekly series is designed to provide quick tips you can use to get the most out of the features in SharePoint.
- SharePoint 2016 and SharePoint Online New Features. Office 365 integration is a big win, as well as role creation control, new compliance features, and the touch-friendly interface for mobile devices. Learn about all these