THE REV. DR. PAUL J. CARLING
The Rev. Dr. Paul J. Carling is a licensed clinical and developmental psychologist who has had a distinguished career in the field of mental health. Carling has degrees from the University of Pennsylvania – a B.A. in History; and M.S. Ed. in Social Science Education, and a Ph.D. in Clinical & Developmental Psychology – and an M. Div. from Episcopal Divinity School in Cambridge MA. He was ordained to the priesthood in 2002 in Vermont where he served before coming to Connecticut in 2004. His prior employment has included various professorships in the U.S. and U.K. He also has experience providing counseling services for students at two universities.
Paul Carling is married to Cherise A. Rowan, M.D., a neonatal pediatric cardiologist who is a clinical instructor at Yale University.
Contact the Episcopal Church at Yale:
305 Crown Street
New Haven, CT 06520
THE BOARD OF GOVERNORS
The ECY is governed by a Board of Governors whose principal function is to support the work of the Episcopal Chaplaincy at Yale University, and assure the continuity of the Episcopal Church at Yale whether a Chaplain is in residence or not. The Board sees that the funds necessary for running the chaplaincy are found and oversees their disbursement. It sets goals for the chaplaincy and reviews them periodically. It is required, with due participation of the Congregational Council and advice from the Yale Religious Ministries, to call Chaplains to the ministry of ECY. The full Board meets about two to three times a year.
Board of Governors Officers (Executive Committee)
- President (ex officio): The Rt. Rev. Ian Douglas, Bishop of Connecticut
- Acting President: The Rt. Rev. Laura Ahrens, Bishop for Higher Education Ministries
- Vice President: Dr. John P. Seibyl
- Secretary: Mrs. Shirley Wick
- Treasurer: Mr. Edwin Lewis
- Mr. Florencio Armando Ghinaglia Socorro (Graduate Student Leader)
- Ms. Eliza Winn Robertson (Co-Chair Congregational Council)
- Ms. Zoey Peterson (Co-Chair Congregational Council)
- Ms. Anna Heckler (Co-Chair Congregational Council)
- Dr. Constance Bagley
- Mr. Jonathan Bush
- Mr. Andrew Homan
- The Rev. George Kovoor
- The Rev. Steven Paulikas
- The Rev. Dr. F. Washington (Tony) Jarvis
- The Rev. Rowena Kemp
- The Rev. Ryan C. Fleenor
- Chaplain: The Rev. Paul J. Carling, Ph.D.
- Deacon: The Rev. Kyle Pederson
- Soraya Socorro, Administrator
- David Simon, DMA ’23, Music Director
- Mary Beth Mills-Curran, M.Div. ’19, Program Director
- Rebecca Ogus, M.Div. ’20, Consultant
- Stephen Chin Bow, Sunday Assistant
THE CONGREGATIONAL COUNCIL
The Congregational Council is made up of student leaders from the congregation of the ECY. Members of the council meet regularly with the Chaplain concerning the programmatic life of the ECY and take part in Board of Governors meetings.
The current Congregational Council is composed of:
- Nolan Crawford (Board of Governors)
- Tommy Schacht (Congregational Council Co-Chair & Board of Governors)
- Jocelyn Wickersham (Student VP Board of Governors)
- Margo William (Congregational Council Co-Chair)