My research interests are in discrete math and theoretical computer science, with particular focus on probabilistic and extremal combinatorics. My recorded dissertation defense is available here: part 1 and part 2 with slides.
Publications and pre-prints
Names in bold indicate undergraduate researchers.
- Aaron Berger, Ross Berkowitz, Pat Devlin, and Van Vu. Universality for real roots of random polynomials. 2019+. In preparation.
- Ross Berkowitz and Pat Devlin. Bribing three voters in majority dynamics almost always suffices. 2019+. In preparation.
- Pat Devlin and Tony Zeng. Fractals in Kaprekar’s function. 2019+. In preparation.
- Pat Devlin and Stephen Newman. Notes on the curling conjecture. 2019+. In preparation.
- Matija Buric, Pat Devlin, Mo Hendon, Dru Horne, and Ben Lund. Perfect matchings and derangements on graphs. 2019+. Submitted. Preprint, arXiv:1906.05908.
- Dagur Ásgeirsson and Pat Devlin. Palindromes in finite groups. 2018+. Submitted. Preprint, arXiv:1904.00467.
- Aaron Berger, Ross Berkowitz, Pat Devlin, Michael Doppelt, Sonali Durham, Tessa Murthy, and Harish Vemuri. Connected-intersecting graph families. 2018+. Submitted. Preprint, arXiv:1901.01616.
- Ross Berkowitz, Pat Devlin, Catherine Lee, Henry Reichard, and David Townley. Expected chromatic number of random subgraphs. 2018+. Submitted. Preprint, arXiv:1811.02018.
- Deepak Bal, Ross Berkowitz, Pat Devlin, and Mathias Schacht. Hamiltonian Berge cycles in random hypergraphs. 2018+. Submitted. Preprint, arXiv:1809.03596.
- Hüseyin Acan, Pat Devlin, and Jeff Kahn. Proof of an entropy conjecture of Leighton and Moitra. Journal of Combinatorial Theory, Series A, 161:299–308, 2019.
- David Brandfonbrener, Pat Devlin, Netanel Friedenberg, Yuxuan Ke, Steffen Marcus, Henry Reichard, and Ethan Sciamma. Two-vertex generators of Jacobians of graphs. The Electronic Journal of Combinatorics, 25, 2018.
- Ross Berkowitz and Pat Devlin. A stability result using the matrix norm to bound the permanent. Israel Journal of Mathematics, 224(1):437–454, 2018.
- Pat Devlin and Jeff Kahn. Perfect fractional matchings in k-out hypergraphs. The Electronic Journal of Combinatorics, 24(3), 2017.
- Pat Devlin and Jeff Kahn. On stability in the Erdős-Ko-Rado Theorem. SIAM J. Discrete Math., 30(2):1283–1289, 2015.
- Pat Devlin and Edinah K Gnang. Primes Appearing in Prime Tower Factorization. 2014.
- Pat Devlin and Howard J Nuer. A strange family of Calabi-Yau 3-folds. String-Math 2014, 93:245, 2014.
- Pat Devlin and Edinah K Gnang. Some integer formula encodings and related algorithms. Advances in Applied Mathematics, 51(4):536–541, 2013.
- Pat Devlin. Integer Subsets with High Volume and Low Perimeter. Integers, 12, 2012.
Advised student work not appearing above
- Sabrina Evans. Joy ride: how subway structure affects citizen happiness. 2019. Senior thesis.
- Maxime Lukianchikov. Mathematics and magic. 2019. Student thesis.
- Henry Reichard. Codes on the space of hypergraphs. 2018. Senior thesis.
- Yunus Tunçbilek. Rare graphs and anti-Ramsey multiplicities. 2018. Senior thesis.
- David Brandfonbrener. Algebraic graph theory, strongly regular graphs, and Conway’s 99 problem. 2017. Senior thesis.
- Sage Lazzaro. We solved an MTV reality show weeks before the finale using simple math–mathematical spoilers ahead. The Observer, November 2014.