My research examines the politics of refugee populations focusing on the impacts of humanitarian aid on political violence and how social networks shape local governance in refugee communities. I have designed and managed multiple surveys in Lebanon and experimental focus-group research in Lebanon and Jordan. I conducted 20 months of fieldwork in Lebanon, and have lived and worked in Lebanon, Syria, Egypt, and Yemen for nearly five years. I have conducted research in partnership with the World Bank, International Rescue Committee, and the UN Refugee Agency.
Articles in Peer-Reviewed Journals
- “Refugees, Mobilization, and Humanitarian Aid: Evidence from the Syrian Refugee Crisis in Lebanon.” With Christian Lehmann. Forthcoming at Journal of Conflict Resolution. (Online Appendix)
- “Cooperation, Resources, and Network Structure. Theory and Evidence from the Syrian Refugee Crisis.” (Online Appendix) (Audio vignettes: Audio and subtitles)
- “Does Aid Reduce Anti-Refugee Violence? Evidence from Syrian Refugees in Lebanon.” With Christian Lehmann. Under review.
- “US Refugee Aid and Civil Conflict.” With Christian Lehmann. Under review.
- “Does Halting Refugee Resettlement Reduce Crime? Evidence From a Natural Experiment.” With Vasil Yasenov. Under review.
- Syrian Refugees and Their Hosts in Jordan, Lebanon, and the Kurdistan Region of Iraq: Lives, Livelihoods, and Local Impacts. The World Bank. Unpublished. With Nandini Krishnan, Tara Vishwanath, Monica Biradavolu, Kevin Carey, Matthew Groh, Meghan Lucas, Nethra Palaniswamy, Flavio Russo Riva, Dhiraj Sharma, Thomas Ginn and Jacob Goldston.
- “‘Giving More’ Through Direct Cash Aid.” Refugees Deeply. July 20, 2016.
- “Giving Better: Lessons from Cash Grants for Syrian Refugees in Lebanon.” AUB IFI Policy Brief. 2015. Also published in Arabic.
- “Impact Evaluation of the 2014-15 Winter Cash Assistance Programme for Syrian Refugees in Lebanon.” UNHCR. September 2015. With Khalil El Asmar.
- “Impact Evaluation of a Cash-Transfer Programme for Syrian Refugees in Lebanon.” Field Exchange. November 2014. With Christian Lehmann.
- “Emergency Economies: The Impact of Cash Assistance in Lebanon.” International Rescue Committee report. September 2014. With Christian Lehmann.
- “An American Dream: The Broken Iraqi Refugee Resettlement Program and How to Fix It.” Harvard Kennedy School Review. Spring 2010.
“Preparing for the Unknown: Fieldwork Preparation and Risk Assessment for Research in Hostile Environments.” SAFE Research in Hostile Environments: A Systematic Handbook for Fieldwork Protection and Digital Security in the Social Sciences. Jannis Grimm, Kevin Koehler, Ellen Lust, Ilyas Saliba, and Isabell Schierenbeck eds. Forthcoming with SAGE Publications. With Kevin Koehler, Sylvain Lefebvre, and Francesco Strazzari.
- “The Ethical Challenges of Field Research in the Syrian Refugee Crisis.” APSA MENA Politics, Newsletter of the MENA Politics Section of APSA, Volume 2, Issue 1, Spring 2019. With Lama Mourad
- Book review for Noel Brehony’s Yemen Divided and Christopher Boucek and Marina Ottaway’s Yemen on the Brink. International Affairs. May 2012.
Work in Progress
- “Understanding the Dynamics of Refugee Return.” With Ala’ Alrababa’h, Marine Casalis, Dominik Hangartner, and Jeremy Weinstein.
- “How Can Humanitarian Actors Effectively Spread Information in Crisis? A Field Experiment in Leveraging Networks to Increase Positive Spillovers.” With Maria Micaela Sviatschi.
- “Group Structure and Deliberation in Crisis Responses.”
- “Social and Political Dynamics of the Venezuela Crisis.” With Sergio Olivieri and Mariana Felicio.