- Postdoctoral Fellow, Immigration Policy Lab, Stanford University, September 2018-summer 2020
- Ph.D. with distinction, Political Science, Yale University, 2018
- M.P.P. Public Policy, Harvard Kennedy School, 2011
- B.A. Political Science, Bates College, 2006
Writing and Research
Articles in Peer-Reviewed Journals
- “Refugees, Mobilization, and Humanitarian Aid: Evidence from the Syrian Refugee Crisis in Lebanon.” With Christian Lehmann. Journal of Conflict Resolution, forthcoming.
- “Does Aid Reduce Anti-Refugee Violence? Evidence from Syrian Refugees in Lebanon.” With Christian Lehmann. Revise and resubmit at the American Political Science Review.
- “Refugee Networks, Cooperation, and Resource Access: Evidence From a Network Experiment with Syrian Refugees in Lebanon and Jordan.”
- “Does Halting Refugee Resettlement Reduce Crime? Evidence From a Natural Experiment.” With Vasil Yasenov. Under Review.
- “US Refugee Aid and Civil Conflict.” With Christian Lehmann. Under Review.
“Are Cash Transfers Effective Humanitarian Aid in Refugee Crises?” With M. Christian Lehmann.
- “Preparing for the Unknown: Fieldwork Preparation and Risk Assessment for Research in Hostile Environments.” Safer Field Research in the Social Sciences: A Guide to Human and Digital Security in Hostile Environments. Jannis Grimm, Kevin Koehler, Ellen Lust, Ilyas Saliba, and Isabell Schierenbeck eds. With Kevin Koehler, Sylvain Lefebvre, and Francesco Strazzari. SAGE Publications, forthcoming.
- Syrians in the Middle East: The Lives and Livelihoods of Refugees and Their Hosts. The World Bank. With Nandini Krishnan, Tara Vishwanath, Monica Biradavolu, Kevin Carey, Matthew Groh, Meghan Lucas, Nethra Palaniswamy, Flavio Russo Riva, Dhiraj Sharma, Thomas Ginn and Jacob Goldston. Internal World Bank Report.
- “‘Giving More’ Through Direct Cash Aid.” Refugees Deeply. 2016.
- “Giving Better: Lessons from Cash Grants for Syrian Refugees in Lebanon.” AUB IFI Policy Brief. Also published in Arabic. 2015.
- “Impact Evaluation of the 2014-15 Winter Cash Assistance Programme for Syrian Refugees in Lebanon.” UNHCR. With Khalil El Asmar. 2015.
- “Impact Evaluation of a Cash-Transfer Programme for Syrian Refugees in Lebanon.” Field Exchange. With Christian Lehmann. 2014.
- “Emergency Economies: The Impact of Cash Assistance in Lebanon.” International Rescue Committee report. With Christian Lehmann. 2014.
- “An American Dream: The Broken Iraqi Refugee Resettlement Program and How to Fix It.” Harvard Kennedy School Review. Spring 2010.
- “The Ethical Challenges of Field Research in the Syrian Refugee Crisis.” APSA MENA Politics, Newsletter of the MENA Politics Section of APSA, Volume 2, Issue 1. With Lama Mourad. 2019.
- Book review of Noel Brehony’s Yemen Divided and Christopher Boucek and Marina Ottaway’s Yemen on the Brink. International Affairs. May 2012.
Ongoing Field Projects
- “Understanding the Dynamics of Refugee Return.” With Ala’ Alrababa‘h, Marine Casalis, Dominik Hangartner, and Jeremy Weinstein.
- “How Can Humanitarian Actors Effectively Spread Information During a Crisis? A Field Experiment in Leveraging Networks to Increase Positive Spillovers.” With Maria Micaela Sviatschi.
Teaching Fellow for PLSC 503 “Foundations of Statistical Inference,” taught by Professor Peter Aronow. Yale University, Department of Political Science. Spring Semester 2018
- Teaching Fellow and Section Leader for PLSC 512 “The Design and Analysis of Randomized Field Experiments,” taught by Professor Alex Coppock. Yale University, Department of Political Science. Spring Semester 2017
- Teaching Fellow and Section Leader for PLSC 504 “Advanced Quantitative Methods,” taught by Professor Allan Dafoe. Yale University, Department of Political Science. Fall Semester 2014
- Course Assistant for DPI 101 C “Political Institutions and Public Policy,” taught by Professor Tarek Masoud. Harvard Kennedy School. Spring Semester 2011
- Course Assistant for IGA 101 “International Relations: Theory and Practice,” taught by Professors Stephen Walt and Matthew Baum. Harvard Kennedy School. Fall Semester 2010
- Course Assistant for IGA 207 “Middle Eastern Politics and Policy,” taught by Professor Tarek Masoud. Harvard Kennedy School. Spring Semester 2010
- Lebanon (1 month), Dissertation research, May 2017
- Lebanon (20 months), Dissertation research, February 2015 – October 2016
- Lebanon (10 months), Language study and research, October 2013 – August 2014
- Lebanon (1 month), Language study, Summer 2012
- Jordan (1 month), Masters research, January 2011
- Yemen (3 months), Masters research, Summer 2010
- Yemen (2 months), Language study, Summer 2008
- Syria (12 months), Work (UNHCR) and language study, May 2007 – May 2008
- Egypt (9 months), Study-abroad (AUC), August 2004 – May 2005
Fluent Levantine Arabic, advanced Modern Standard Arabic