The blog becomes the course web site–instead of something like Classes*v2 or a “Learning Management System.”
The syllabus lives here.
- Instructors post assignments and lecture notes.
- Anyone interested can learn about the course.
Students post short “alt-assignments.”
- They write in different genres and styles.
- They get many small opportunities to explore the course material & get feedback.
- They get early diagnostic feedback on their writing.
Students read the work of their peers.
- It sets the bar, gives them a baseline, and lets them situate themselves amongst a range of approaches.
Instructors have transparency across the course, not just limited to their sections.